About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Bike Ride

We quickly shifted from watching for school cancellations while sitting in front of the fire to playing outside and riding bikes through the neighborhood. I hope that the weather is here to stay because everybody, including me, is happier when we can play outside. Yesterday I could feel my anxiety melting away in the warm sunshine. 

For Christmas, Scott surprised me with an electric bike. Knowing how much Timmy loves to ride through the neighborhood, he thought that the pedal assist feature would help me to keep up with our little explorer as he becomes older.  After experiencing the joy of pedal assist riding, Robby has commandeered my bike. He hops on and gleefully pedals away at every opportunity. 

Yesterday Robby asked if he could ride to the duck pond. Overhearing his brother and without waiting for an invitation, Timmy was putting on his shoes and heading out the door. I agreed to the excursion with the caveat that Robby keeps Timmy in his sight by riding next to him. (With the brothers on bikes, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to keep up on foot.) 

The boys took off up the street on their bikes while I jogged behind them. I was initially nervous about letting them ride away from me, but I trusted that Robby would keep Timmy safe in our quiet little neighborhood.  I could see Robby circling Timmy in an attempt to stay moving while keeping tabs on his little brother. I could hear Timmy's giggles from a block away.  As I panted while jogging, I knew that the boys were fine without me.

I am glad that the brothers were able to enjoy an activity together. With their age difference, opportunities for a common activity are slim. Seeing them have so much fun together almost makes it worth giving up my new bike.



No comments:

Post a Comment