About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Disciplinarian

Like all parents, I have been embarrassed by my children in public. It is always uncomfortable and awkward when they act inappropriately or say something outrageous, especially when I know that they are raised to higher standards. I am always prepared for embarrassment, but rarely have I been utterly mortified by the actions of one of my children. Unfortunately, yesterday was one of those instances.

Over the past week, Timmy has been struggling with boundaries and self-control. He has stepped up his mischief to where his actions border on destructive. Walls have been colored with food, socks have been flushed down toilets and running has taken the place of walking. He seems to have lost his indoor voice, opting for screaming and shrieking. 

Yesterday he acted out when I was working with Abby. I immediately grabbed his hand and removed him from her home. I was appalled by his behavior. He has been raised to be respectful of other people, but his actions yesterday certainly did not demonstrate those values.

I have taken a hard line approach towards his recent misbehavior. He has lost toys, has had birthday balloons popped and has spent hours over the past week standing in time-out. Icecream, trips to the park and opportunities to play with buddies have all been denied as a result of his behavior. Right now I feel like I am being held hostage by his behavior, but until he understands his boundaries I cannot reward him by going anywhere fun. 

For the time being, I am the mean Mom. I don't like coming down on him, but I will assume the role because he needs to learn and understand boundaries. Until his behavior transforms, my role will be more like a Drill Sargeant than a play companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment