About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 15, 2019

Amusement Park Happy

Over the past few years, Robby has struggled with amusement parks. He used to be able to ride all day, but as he has gotten older his ear condition has begun to impact his equilibrium. We spoke to his doctor about his amusement park queasiness and on Friday we gave the suggestions a try.

For the first time in four years, Robby was able to ride all of the rides at Hershey Park without becoming sick!  He spent the entire day riding with his cousins, leaving him simultaneously tired and over-the-moon. While the big kids were riding the tall coasters and adult rides, Timmy and I spent our time on the smaller amusements. My little thrill seeker was delighted when the Cousin Crew returned to the kiddie rides to retrieve him. 

In retrospect, I think that their sudden interest in riding with Timmy was simply a ruse to gain access to my disability fast pass. Realizing that they would receive front of line entrance if they were riding with me, Timmy was part of the package. Regardless of their motivation, Timmy loved going on the rides with his cousins.  

I had the foresight to take the same motion sickness medication recommended for Robby because I suspected that the kids might figure out my riding benefit at some point during the afternoon. I always get sick on the rides, but the motion sickness medication definitely helped. We went on the log flume ride seven times and I never became ill.

After a long day at Hershey Park, we spent Saturday swimming in the pool of my Mom's friend. It was our first time swimming this summer and we all thoroughly enjoyed being in the water. Since I am in a temporary prosthetic situation, I was weary about wearing my leg into the pool. I opted to remove my leg entirely to avoid damaging the prosthesis.  The cool water felt wonderful again my limb, which was mangled and bruised from trudging through Hershey Park in obscenely hot temperatures.  

Tonight I have another Cousin Crew Adventure planned, but first I think we'll hit the ice cream trail. We are motivated to receive all of our stamps.  Have a great day!











No comments:

Post a Comment