About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 06, 2020

No Etiquette

We are only in the second month of the election year and I'm already weary of politics. When I was younger I relished election years. I soaked up all of the news and electoral energy, excited by the process and eager to participate. Now I find myself turning the television to the Food Network just so I don't have to deal with the constant political banter. 

My conscious is in a constant battle between the guilt I feel for avoiding the dialog and my need to preserve my sanity. Turning off the banter doesn't make the issues disappear, and I feel guilty for not being more politically involved. At the same time, the absence of noise allows me to live in blissful ignorance. 

It isn't actually the politics that is grating me, but rather the nasty rhetoric from all sides. It seems that we, as a society, can no longer have an intelligent conversation with two opposing viewpoints. All of the etiquette that I learned in speech class and in debate club is now, seemingly, nonexistent. Courtesy and patience have been replaced with vitriol and name calling. It frustrates me to the point of feeling ill.

Right now I'm striving to find a balance between remaining informed while maintaining my own mental health. It isn't easy, but I know that I have to find the balance. If I don't, 2020 is going to be an incredibly long year!

No comments:

Post a Comment