About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

22 years

Sigh.

I realized this morning that it has been 22 years since I walked with a healthy biological left foot. It is mind blowing to fathom that the first domino fell 22 years ago this afternoon, setting off the chain of events that ultimately led to my amputation. At the time I assumed that my broken foot would quickly heal and that the injury was simply a bump in the road. My bump in the road turned into a complete life detour. 

Although the memories of that day remain vivid, I find that I have so little in common with my pre-injury self. Her dreams and aspirations were so different than the ones that I hold today. While I'm sure that many of the differences can be attributed to maturity and growth, I know without a doubt that my life was put on a completely different trajectory on March 11, 1998. (Incidentally, it was also a Wednesday.) 

My life is definitely different than I anticipated, but it is filled with joys, challenges and wonderful people whom I would never had met had I not been injured. I can no longer imagine living the life I planned before my accident. Perhaps more telling, I no longer want that life. 

22 years is a long time, but I no longer mourn for the lost plans and dreams. Instead, I am left feeling the impact of more than two decades of life. Where has all the time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment