About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Bad Leg Day

Yesterday felt like a struggle from the moment I woke up. For some reason my leg was not comfortable. I tried readjusting numerous times but my efforts failed to improve the fit. After a few hours I finally just surrendered to the discomfort for the day, tallied it up as "one of those things" and took some ibuprofen. 

I was functional and able to walk, but my steps were labored and unnatural. Walking was exhausting, zapping me of energy and discouraging me from my daily activities. I was frustrated that I wasn't comfortable and that I could not pinpoint the reason. I hate bad leg days!

Little makes me feel more handicapped than not being able to play and keep up with the boys. Timmy desperately wanted to play outside, but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with him. After a lot of begging and pleading I finally agreed to try to ride my bike. He understood that our ride may be shortened because of my pain, but I wanted to give it a try.

I was delighted, and surprised, to discover that my prosthetic issues were not nearly as relevant when I was pedaling. Once I realized that I could ride without pain we took off through the neighborhood, exploring and talking to every dog and person we encountered. 

My leg is fitting better this morning, so apparently my diagnosis of "one of those things" was accurate. I feel normal again and, although I'm cautious, I don't anticipate any more issues. Here's to a good leg day!

No comments:

Post a Comment