About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 17, 2020

Busy Weekend

 My goodness, what a busy weekend. My plans of relaxing and unwinding somehow imploded and I ended moving and working nonstop. I was extremely productive which definitely helped to offset my exhaustion. 

 Saturday morning Scott and I went to a local farmer's market and ended up coming home with 50 pounds of tomatoes and 25 pounds of green beans. I already had 50 pounds of tomatoes from my Mom's neighbor, bringing the total to a whopping one hundred pounds! Undeterred by the task, I brought my saucer up from the garage and got to work. 

It took me nearly four hours to run all one hundred pounds of tomatoes through the saucer. By the time the last tomato was pushed through the machine I had every electric cooking pot going to reduce and thicken the sauce. The appliances were strategically positioned throughout the house to avoid throwing a fuse, forcing me to move constantly to stir and check on the progress.  

While the sauce was reducing, I sat on the couch and began to snap the beans. I started a movie on Netflix and, by the time I was finally at the bottom of my bean box, the movie had just ended. It was kind of nice to sit and watch a movie, but my hands were tired and cramped from the beans.

Saturday night was spent processing the sauce through my water canner. One hundred pounds of potatoes reduced down to 19 quarts of sauce. While the jars were processing I blanched, shocked and froze the beans. By the time I was ready for bed I was exhausted!

I planned on relaxing all day Sunday, but somehow I ended up rearranging all of the furniture upstairs and cleaning. I packed up all of Timmy's trains because he has outgrown them.  He loved his trains and they served him well, but he is growing up. I was proud of myself for not crying! 

Gone are the large and clumsy plastic toys. I know that packing up the trains is a milestone in his development, but I don't want to think about it because it will make me cry. Instead, I am choosing to utilize my favorite coping mechanism: avoidance.

I had to move a lot of furniture, but with all of the newly reclaimed space I was able to establish a dedicated video-conferencing corner for work. I created a school area for Timmy and arranged Robby's notebooks in a convenient location. I was exhausted but satisfied with my accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment