About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 12, 2021

Uniform

My boys are so incredibly fortunate to be able to call my Mom their "Nana." She loves them unconditionally, lights up whenever she sees them (virtually or in person), and fully embraces all of their interests. They frequently receive "just because" surprises in the mail that accurately reflect their current interests.

Last week Robby mentioned to me that he wanted a reproduction Soviet uniform from WWII to wear to his history class. I checked online, but the only uniforms I located were shipping internationally with a 6-8 week wait. The wait time would put Robby to the end of his course, negating his need for the uniform. I explained the situation to Robby and, although disappointed, we stopped searching.

I relayed my frustrations to my Mom when I couldn't locate a uniform shipping domestically. She agreed that it was frustrating, but didn't have any other suggestions about where I could look. I didn't realize that by mentioning it to my Mom, I had activated her internet bloodhound. 

Three days after we abandoned our search, my Mom called. I knew from the excitement in her voice that she was sharing good news. I was stunned when I learned that she had maintained her uniform search and, not only did she locate the appropriate size and era for sale, but that it was being sold by somebody within a mile of her home. What are those odds?

Because of their proximity, my Mom went to pick up the item in person. More than simply locating a uniform for Robby, she also obtained a connection for WWII era reenacting. The individual was excited to learn about Robby and has offered an invitation to join his reenacting group. It was so hard keeping this secret from Robby, but after all the work my Mom invested, I wanted her to be able to share the uniform and the news of her new friend.

Yesterday we packed up and met my Mom in the McDonald's parking lot. I haven't seen her since December, so it was really nice to see her in person. The boys were also excited with their brief reunion. Timmy was a chatterbox, demanding his Nana's full attention and regaling her with stories and new information he has gleaned. 

Robby was stunned and silenced when he received the uniform. He is so excited that, when we arrived home, he ran into the house to try it on and to show his Dad. Over Easter we hope to meet with the reenactor to learn more about his squad and Robby's possible involvement. 

I'm not sure how my Mom managed to pull this off, but she knocked fulfilling Robby's wish out of the park!



No comments:

Post a Comment