About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Injection

Friday afternoon I received a call from Timmy's immunology clinic with an invitation to participate in a parent vaccination clinic. I didn't heitate to say yes, and quickly set up an appointment for Sunday. I honestly felt like I hit the lottery when I finally secured a vaccination appointment.

Sunday was not only my vaccination day, but it was also Scott's birthday. In anticipation of feeling punky after the injection, I tried to do all of the birthday prep on Saturday. Robby helped me bake his cake and dinner was all prepped and ready to be cooked. After a quick birthday breakfast in bed, with help from my assistant Timmy, I hopped into the car and headed to receive my vaccine.

Unlike everybody else I know, and probably because it has just been approved, I received the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Although the injection stung a little more than I expected, the process was smooth and easy. I began to feel mild vertigo as the day wore on, but I was able to cook and clean up after Scott's birthday celebration without an issue.

Unfortunately, everything went downhill in the early evening. I began to feel chills as my fever quickly rose. I went to bed, curled under numerous blankets and tried to visualize my body building immunity. Around midnight, when my fever reached 104.1, I began to vomit. Thankfully, after I expelled everything in my stomach I began to feel an easing in the nausea.

My fever broke in the early morning, and I spent much of yesterday relaxing and rebuilding my strength. I felt tired and wiped out from the fever, but I was functional. I wasn't expecting this strong reaction to the vaccine, especially since I have had the flu shot habitually for years and never lodge a complaint. Like so much this year, this experience was different. 

I am feeling nearly normal today, and I am still grateful for the vaccine. If you have a chance to get your injection(s), please do it. Just plan an easy evening and day after just in case.





No comments:

Post a Comment