About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Water Class

Yesterday was an exciting day for Timmy. The stars (and schedules) finally aligned, allowing him to enjoy his very first in-person class. Several weeks ago I signed him up for the "Science in the Park" through our county recreation board. The series of four classes ended up being a single experience due to low enrollment. Thankfully, yesterday's class met the minimum participant requirement to proceed. 

My typically outgoing and confident little boy became shy and nervous as we drove up to the class. I knew that he was excited, but also scared. Because this was a class and not daycare, I had to stay on site throughout the two hour experience. He initially clung to me but, after about 20 minutes, he acclimated and really didn't give me a second thought.

The class involved learning about the water cycle and aquatic animals. He enjoyed the games that were played and interacted beautifully with his classmates. I saw both the relief and pride wash across his face when he called out the correct answers to his teacher's questions. It was great seeing him with his peers!

There is no doubt that his favorite part of the class was the creek exploration experience. He grabbed his net and walked into the creek like he was a boss. He wasn't about to let the cold temperature (the water clocked a whopping 51 degrees) stop him from his mission of finding an aquatic animal. While all of the other kids were hanging around the shore, mine was waist high catching craw fish and baby salamanders. 

Despite his only having one class instead of four, he had a great time. Hopefully the pandemic will continue to fade so we can do more of these experiences.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment