About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 15, 2022

Dorm Day

It is hard to believe, but my sweet baby niece is waking up in her college dorm this morning. After a tense build-up to move-in day, she was settled into her new digs without an issue. It broke my heart to hear the panic and terror in her voice whenever we spoke about her collegiate adventure. No matter what anybody said to try to quell her fears, she couldn't talk about college without tears. 

Despite our efforts to turn the preparation into a fun activity, she refused to allow the excitement to grow. Instead she opted to nurture the fears and anxiety. Given time, I hope that she will be okay. I know it is scary to try something new, but there are times when you just have to take a deep breath and do it anyway. This is her first foray into adulthood. I am thinking about her this morning and I hope that she is able to relax, adjust and thrive. 

With my niece settled into her dorm, I'm hoping that family conversations can return to normal. It feels like we all spent more time invested in discussing her detachment from the future than anything else. It will be refreshing to not always have the conversation loop back to her college woes. At this point, the decision to adjust and to thrive is entirely up to her. 

Change is hard, but necessary. This is the first adult lesson for so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment