About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

StairMaster

 Yesterday a student became angry with me because I was forced to reinforce the importance of one of my only rules: no running with your cane. I understand while he was upset, but my job is to teach safe travel and running is the antithesis of safe travel. After discussing consequences I attempted to get my lesson back on track by salvaging the remaining time with a walk through the school. I also wanted to give my student a sense of control so I told him that we would work on the skill of his choosing. 

"Okay Miss Peggy. I want to work on stairs because I don't like you. You have one leg and stairs will make you miserable, so let's get at it." 

This poor young lad completely underestimated my ability to mask my own misery. We ran up and down the stairs until the bell rang for his next class. In total, we climbed and descended 12 times. On the final climbs, while he was slow and winded, I told him that I was disappointed in his choice to use a disability as retaliation. Because he lives with a physical disability, he is modeling poor behavior by bullying another. Too winded to respond, I wished him a better day and sent him to his next class.

I ended up limping out to my car. 12 flights of stairs nearly killed me! But I am also familiar with children, and I will never let them win in such a teachable moment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment