About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Seeking Help

A lot of energy was spent last year contemplating and worrying about my future employment. With Robby entering kindergarten next year, my tenure as full-time stay at home Mommy is coming to an end. I spent seemingly scores of sleepless nights worrying about my future and what path I wanted to take. For the first time in my life, I felt as if I were approaching a professional crossroads and was completely lost.

During this time I wasn't able to clearly define my future professional aspirations. However I did rediscover passions that I thought had been lost. I love to write, to meet new people and to share ideas and support.

Searching on the internet one night (during another worry induced insomnia episode) I discovered that my prosthetist office (Orthotic Prosthetic Center) had a blog. I clicked on the link and was surprised when I realized that no posts were written. A blog with no posts is not exactly useful!

On a whim, I sent my prosthetist Elliot an email, offering to help him write his blog. He took me up on my offer. With a simple offer I began my professional blogging career. During the past few months the job has expanded to include maintaining the OPC Facebook page, a twitter account and the website. I even have a title: Director of Social Media. Yes, I figured out a way to turn my guilty little social networking pleasure into a part time job!

Last week I was asked to help OPC organize and promote a venture that is close to my heart. I have been honest revealing my struggles concerning my weight. I have come to the conclusion that maintaining a healthy weight is going to be a lifelong struggle. I simply love brownies, cookies and cake!

I mentioned to Elliot the need for amputee role models in terms of weight loss and maintenance. He agreed, and lacking any role models we have decided to create our own. We are organizing a weight loss competition for area amputees. Elliot has agreed to provide a free prosthetic foot or hand to the winner, a huge incentive.

We are launching "New You, New Year, New Foot (or hand)" and I have been asked to solicit participants. Reaching out to our patients is easy. However, we would like to open up the contest to all amputees in the Northern Virginia, Maryland and DC area.

Never undeterred by my lack of training and experience, last week I sat in front of my computer and contacted the local newspapers and television stations. I know that a little publicity would help boost participation.

I want to do a good job, to prove myself as an asset. For the first time in over a year, I have been feeling optimistic about my professional future. I'm excited about the work that I've been doing, and I know that this position could be the perfect fit for both my personality and family priorities. To be blunt, I don't want to mess this up! In addition, it is something about which I have a passion. Being overweight as an amputee is harmful in more ways than I can enumerate, and yet most amputees find it difficult to find help and inspiration to achieve their weight loss goals. I need to find a way to reach my audience.

I don't have any experience promoting events, and I'm not sure how to go about it effectively. I followed the advice from web pages etc., but if anybody has any practical knowledge that they are willing to share, I would be grateful. How does one go about enticing the media to cover an event so that we can reach more amputees? Right now, this job is too important for me to fail. If you can help in any way, I would appreciate it. I might even send you some cookies!

4 comments:

  1. Peggy, Are you serious in wanting some advice. My sister in law was a medical news paper journalist who now works for a large hospitals PR dept in NE Ohio. I can shoot her off an email asking her opinion. What is your time line? Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would appreciate that so much. I just know that this program will help people, and I'm proud to be a part of it. I just feel a little overwhelmed and over my head with the whole promotion thing.. THANK YOU!!!
    Registration begins February 1 but runs until the 15th. We can delay if we need to.
    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see what I can do over the weekend

    ReplyDelete