About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 11, 2011

I Hate Yard Work!

Our yard has the potential of becoming little boy's Utopia. Unfortunately much of it is inaccessible because of the sharp little intruding vines which have claimed much of our wooded area. Every spring I promise myself that I am going to clear the woods of the thorny blackberry bushes. Yesterday I decided that the woods were going to be cleared out so that Robby can run and play!

Undeterred by the amount of work, I went into the lopping zone. I cut, moved, untangled and piled hundreds of sharp thorn vines. To my delight I only drew blood six times- which isn't bad considering that I worked for over three hours!

Throughout the afternoon I found myself experiencing a variety of "I love being an amputee" moments. My prosthetic became a useful tool as I was able to reach the roots of the vines. After all, I could trample them down without risking painful scrapes or jabs on my leg! I also used my prosthetic to stomp down the piles, making them more compact and easier to handle. I was able to break sticks over my carbon fiber socket and I never felt a thing!

On one occasion I moved some thorn vines and I thought I saw a snake. I screamed like a girl, and then I immediately threw the vines and started stomping on the ominous creature. It was only after the carbon fiber exterminator stopped striking did I realize that all I destroyed was a small stick disguised as a snake. (I really hate snakes!)

I worked until I couldn't raise my arms. It took most of the afternoon, but I cleared about half of the area. Thankfully the area which I cleaned out was the most densely overgrown. Weather permitting, I'm going to get the rest cleaned out this week.

Robby stayed outside, playing in and around the stream for most of the afternoon. He would yell hello to me from what has been dubbed "Robby Island"-- essentially the other side of the stream. Looking at him playing was my motivation to keep working to clear the woods. After all, one of the reasons we purchased this home was because we knew that the yard would be a wonderful play area for a child. I'm determined to see that dream become a reality, even if it means I may never lift my arms again!

1 comment:

  1. When we first moved into our house I had to clear an area that I thought would make a perfect place for the kids to play and a great place for a swing set--it did turn out perfect but my legs and arms were awful with rips and tears from the dreaded thorny vines and yes I had a few OMG is that a snake moments--when I started reading this post all I could think of was ohhh with a prosthetic leg this would make things a lot easier lol

    ReplyDelete