About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Boot Camp Member

After a six week Groupon spurred trial, I have officially committed to Boot Camp by becoming a full fledged member. I don't necessarily enjoy working out, but I have found the workouts both cathartic and empowering. I am definitely stronger, which was my ultimate goal for going. When I started I struggled to complete three push-ups. Yesterday I was able to do twenty five without stopping.

I'm hoping that as I gain strength and my body becomes more conditioned, my prolapse issues will become minimized. In a way, this is my last ditch effort to avoid another surgery.  Even if I'm unsuccessful and surgery is still required, I know that the recovery will be aided by my being stronger and physically healthier. 

Yesterday was the first time I took advantage of the free childcare offered at the gym. Because I knew that Timmy would not react favorably to being separated, I brought Robby along to help with the transition. I was hoping that Timmy would be more comfortable if he was with his brother.

It turns out that Timmy didn't care that Robby was with him. He began screaming as soon as the gate was closed and continued to vocalize his displeasure until my workout was complete and I picked him up. I thought that he would be calmed by seeing me at all times. All it seemed to do was rev him up.  By the time my workout was complete, we were both red faced, sweaty and out of breath. 

Unbeknownst to him, Timmy will continue to accompany me to the gym. I deserve thirty minutes a day to better myself, and I won't be robbed of the opportunity by the tantrums of a two year old. I know that he is safe, and eventually he will learn to adjust to being separated (but within eye sight) of me.  If he continues his tantrums every time we go to the gym, it is going to be a long six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment