About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Pink Dragons

After much conjoling from both Robby and his Taekwondo instructors, yesterday I finally acquiesced and took the "Pink Dragons" class. Robby was excited for me to participate, but I know he was looking forward to watching the tables turned on me. He rather enjoyed sitting in the chairs watching me sweat and stumble through physical challenges. 

I did my best, but I definitely wasn't graceful. I felt like an unwieldy cow trying to perform Swan Lake. Trying to hit a punching bag, I felt out of place and out of my comfort zone. But I wanted Robby to see that I'm not a quitter and that it is important to try new things even when they are difficult, so I stuck it out until the end.  I would have rewarded myself with a cupcake for surviving my first class, but two things stopped my celebration. First, I couldn't move my arms to bring the treat to my mouth. Secondly, staring at myself in full length mirrors while trying to work out was not a flattering view. I was sadly reminded that I would benefit from fewer cupcakes and more workouts in my life.

The class is once a week and I'm hoping that I'm able to move my arms by the next time we meet. I do have to say, even though I'm incredibly sore from the workout and depressed by the image in the mirror, I did enjoy myself. Once I put my anxiety and self-criticism to the side, I found out that I like punching things. I can see how this class could help me channel some of my frustrations in a healthier way!

No comments:

Post a Comment