About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 09, 2018

Geocaching

Yesterday was cold but beautiful. The grey skies cleared, leaving a bright blue sky with billowy clouds. After coming home from spending three hours at the bounce house with Timmy (my attempt to tucker him out), Robby and I headed out to find some geocaches. With the sun finally shining and my 11 year old actually wanting to spend time with me, I couldn't say no regardless of feeling tired.

Robby discovered geocaching in November and has been hooked. Whenever possible he grabs the GPS and heads out to track down the treasures (aka caches). Usually filled with trinkets and junk, the real victory is locating the hidden item rather than what it may (or may not) contain. I must admit that I find myself feeling a rush of adrenaline whenever we locate the hidden cache.

While Robby is focused on the GPS and tracking down the treasures, my role is typically that of walking companion. He doesn't need me to track down the cache, but I know that he enjoys the company and I feel safer knowing that he isn't alone. I realize that he is 11 and is growing up, but I still don't like him walking by the busy road by himself. 

Besides wanting to keep him safe, I thoroughly enjoy spending time with him. Robby is at an age where he rarely wants to do things with me. He used to be my willing buddy and companion. Now he would rather stay home or hang out with his friends. I know that this is normal, but sometimes I miss my little buddy. When we are geocaching, we are doing something together and he is actually talking to me.  

We located three out of our six targeted geocaches. Robby would have kept going and searching, but I needed to get home to finish making dinner. At least making dinner was my excuse to go home. After three hours of hopping with a three year old and two hours of geocaching with Robby, I was tired!




No comments:

Post a Comment