About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Delay Tactics

Yesterday was an exercise in frustration.  

I spent the early morning on the phone, trying to gather the necessary documentation required for me to receive the new prosthetic liners. After crossing the last item off my list, I felt confident that I would be walking in comfort by the end of the week. One terse call completely sidelined my hopes and derailed my entire day.

On the other line of the receiver was a representative from my Workman's Compensation carrier.  My insurance adjuster will not approve the new liners until I undergo an x-ray to confirm my "continued medical need for a prosthesis and associated supplies." It took me a few moments to realize the true absurdity of her new requirement. My doctor's prescription and associated medical notes, the binders of records detailing my amputation in 2003 and the stacks of documentation from my prosthetist which have been accumulated in the nearly 16 years of daily prosthetic use were suddenly insufficient. Now I am being required to prove, again, that my leg did not suddenly reappear.

I became so outraged by the request that I began to shake. I was infuriated to the point of tears. I was sad that this is the reality of living with a chronic medical need. The revolving door of constant documentation and the spools of red tape have become accepted standards in today's insurance driven climate. I am furious that my ability to ambulate is being held hostage by the delay tactics of my insurance adjuster.

For fear of my words or actions worsening the situation, I disengaged from the battle for the remainder of the day. I was fairly certain that had I continued with my calls my demeanor would have derailed my efforts. Today I am ready to fight again.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment