About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

More Ghostbusting

Because of Timmy's immune issues, he hasn't been cleared to start school. So instead of sitting in a classroom with new friends, he is learning as much as possible at home while adopting me as a ready playmate. I know that he will thrive in school (once he is physically cleared), but in the meantime I'm trying to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

Academically, my little guy is thriving. He is learning his letters like a champion and is writing more and more every day. He is becoming a little sponge, soaking up as many letters and numbers as possible. It is so much fun watching him make sense of the words and numbers all around him, as if he were deciphering a secret code that he is just discovering.

At times like this, when he is going through active interventions that leave him more vulnerable to infections, he is safer staying outside to play.  Although I know that Timmy will love having more playmates when he starts school, I am trying to not obsess about his socialization. I ensure that he plays at parks and other gathering areas whenever possible, assuming the weather is cooperating, so that he can socialize with minimal risks.  Until his immune system strengthens, staying outside in the fresh air is safer for his immune system than being in a closed-in classroom. 

Because Timmy isn't in school, I have assumed the role of primary playmate. While I absolutely adore my little guy, I have to admit that I struggle with becoming bored during the day. Right now he is really "into" playing Ghostbusters, which is basically just us walking through the yard shooting pretend proton guns at imaginary apparitions. He plays for hours every day and loves every moment.

I worry that I am losing brain cells from boredom! I tried to listen to an audio book to help pass the time, but it was too difficult to manage my Ghostbuster directives while trying to focus on the story.  Timmy also prefers to listen to the Ghostbuster theme song (on a constant loop) while playing, so I found myself arguing with a five year old over what we were going to stream.  

I'm trying to remind myself that this will soon pass, and that someday I will miss this dedicated time together.  Trying to looking on the bright side, we are bonding and creating memories. I'm also logging a lot of steps (averaging about 24,000 per day), so it should be helping my weight loss ambitions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment