About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

School Days

 Our first day of school can be summed up with one word: stressful. As much as I prepared and tried to organize for success, everything quickly fell apart and went wonky. I felt discombobulated and frazzled all day as I tried to juggle all of my roles. 

I feel like I was moving from the moment I woke up until late into the night. Between my job(s), trying to teach Timmy and support Robby academically and managing the daily household responsibilities, I felt overwhelmed and out of my element. I tried to remain upbeat and optimistic, but inside I wanted to pull out my hear and bang my head through a glass wall.

Timmy was excited to begin school but, as the lessons continued, his interest waned. Much of his boredom was due to my scattered attention. It was hard to redirect his attention and I became more frustrated than I care to admit at his lack of focus. I'm not too proud to admit that, on more than one occasion, I ended up crying in the bathroom.

Last night I worked on our calendar and our schedule. Going forward, I'm going to try to carve out a dedicated time for school each day. Hopefully having a stricter schedule and routine will help both of us. I am juggling a lot of roles, but I can't multitask when he is actively engaged in his academics. Perhaps I need to model focus before I can expect it from him.

Robby tackled his freshman year like a seasoned pro. He began to work as soon as he woke up and never complained. He is excited about his classes, although it does seem that German may be more work than he anticipated. Nevertheless, he is excited to learn the language and is determined to put in the work. 

Hopefully day will be better!











No comments:

Post a Comment