About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Happy Birthday Koopa

My apologies for not writing on Friday. Thursday afternoon our internet was knocked off line which left my tech addicted family in a tizzy. We were without internet, phone and television until it was finally restored Friday afternoon. I had to use my hot spot for work and simply didn't have the data to upload a blog. Thankfully everything is restored and we are again hooked up to our favorite devices. 

This past weekend was a big one for our family. Not only did we celebrate Scott's last day of work and honor Memorial Day, but on Sunday my sweet not-so-little Koopa turned 15. I am in awe that my little baby is now a full blown teenager. It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the antics of Robby Rotten. Now he is taller than me and every bit a teen boy. 

I am so proud of the young man that Robby is becoming. He is growing into an amazing young man, so full of empathy and curiosity. His interests and passions are so unique- from devouring American and military history (especially WWII) to saving baby sea turtles. I am amazed by his confidence to walk his own path, even when it is so drastically different from his peers.

On Friday I received an email from his teacher enlightening me on his volunteer project through the year. Robby never mentioned a word to me, but that is indicative of his style. He volunteers freely and quietly.
 
I learned that over the course of the year he orchestrated a letter writing campaign to some veterans residing in local nursing homes. He secured the addresses and the postage on his own so that he could mail the letters that he and his "squad" wrote during their break each week. Isn't that cool?

Growing up with speech and hearing issues hasn't been the easiest path, but he has managed to grow stronger as he learned to effectively advocate for himself. I feel a twinge of pride each time I see him eloquently explaining his hearing issue and requesting assistance. He feels no shame, or if he doesn't he doesn't let it show, and he lives his life without regrets or excuses.

Sometimes I am sad when I think about Robby as a little boy. But then I look at my caring, compassionate and interesting teen and I feel both excitement and pride. I am looking forward to watching him grow and expand his wings. 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment