About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Election Day

 Scott and I have always taken the kids with us when we vote. Starting as infants, we felt it was important to model good citizenship by having them watch the process in action. Yesterday was the first election that we deviated from our tradition. The polling places have simply become too toxic for children.

I was heartbroken by the jeers and nasty remarks spewed by the volunteers outside the polling place. The "sample ballots" offered by each party are color coded. If you are carrying a pink one, you are a voting Republican. If you are carrying a blue sample ballot, you are a voting Democrat. I have always thought the color-coded system needs to be changed, and yesterday only cemented my belief.

I politely declined the literature from the candidate that I was not supporting. As soon as I said "no thank you" and continued to walk past, the insults began to fly. I'm unpatriotic. I don't care about America. I'm weak. 

I'm none of those things! However, I am fed up. I'm tired of the nastiness and the juvenile name calling. I'm tired of the divide. We should have different view points. Everything benefits from diversity, including democracy. 

I'm glad that the kids weren't with us when we were walking past the volunteers. Such immature, nasty and bullying behavior from adults is difficult to explain to children. Everybody should feel empowered and proud when they vote, regardless of their personal choice in candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment