About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Slippery

 I would describe my new leg as functional and okay. It isn't the slip-in-and-forget-it socket that I have had in the past. Now I have to layer socks before I take my first step in the morning which I find frustrating and inconvenient. After my careful layering, I am usually comfortable until the heat of the day arrives. When I start to sweat, the leg becomes wonky and my fit struggles begin.

My suspension system, the way in which the prosthesis attaches to my limb, becomes compromised when I sweat. After the seal is broken by my liner slipping my prosthesis is no longer securely attached. I am forced to slow down and walk deliberately to avoid walking out of my device altogether. Talk about both inconvenient and dangerous. Walking Friend through the yard with a poorly attached leg is definitely an exercise in caution.

I have to remove and don the liner again in order for the seal to engage. This isn't an issue at home, but it becomes more difficult when it is necessary in public spaces. I miss being able to forget that I'm wearing a prosthesis. It is only the beginning of July, yet I am already tired of the summer slippery socket.

No comments:

Post a Comment