About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 02, 2023

Heal(ed)

 The last time I saw my Mom she was preparing to leave the rehab hospital. Nearly a month has passed since she was discharged and released to out patient PT. Although I've kept up with her progress over the phone it has been impossible to get a true gauge of her recovery. When I asked her, she simply responded that it hurt and that it was difficult. (Both are understandable but neither are terribly descriptive about her ambulation.)

I was delighted when I arrived at her house on Wednesday and saw her walking around the kitchen without an assistive device. Her walking is slow and deliberate, but she is moving! At this point the difficult part of her recovery is in the mirror. She is now working on regaining her strength and 'breaking in' the new knee.

Yesterday Timmy and I enjoyed visiting with the PA crew while Robby and Scott were still in Virginia. It was really nice hanging out and chatting outside of a hospital setting. We didn't do anything overtly exciting, but we did light up the fire pit at night for some s'mores. (Timmy was particularly enthusiastic about the campfire.)This morning the boys are packing up and driving north, stopping by here to pick me up en route to the WWII Weekend in Reading. 

Whereas Robby annually anticipates this event, Timmy is less than enthusiastic. Despite the influence of his brother, Timmy has zero interest in planes and tanks. Instead of coming, he has asked to stay with his Nana and cousins. Initially I was worried about him staying so soon after my mom's surgery, but seeing her moving and walking around, I am feeling more comfortable. 

This afternoon Robby will begin his favorite weekend of the year. Hopefully the weather holds out for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment