About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, September 07, 2023

Poker Face

 There is an industry conference being held this week in Indiana and many of my co-workers are in attendance. Although I miss seeing my friends at the event, I am glad to be home this year. Ever since Covid, the idea of being in a conference hall with thousands of strangers is no longer appealing. Besides, with everybody in Indianapolis, my meeting calendar is extremely light this week. I am definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and I am fully enjoying the more relaxed schedule.

I am also glad to be home because I abhor a keynote speaker for the conference. This is an individual with a significant profile who I would classify as a "professional amputee." This person has made a living mocking his disability (his prerogative) while outright refusing to aid or assist the greater community in any aspect. He earns money mocking his limb loss while shunning the amputee community. I don't have respect for that. 

Several years ago, during our Not A Luxury movement, I was heavily involved in soliciting support. I know who helped and who refused. This person outright refused to learn about the issues or to send a single tweet because he had "no interest in the amputee community."  (He immediately went onto my f*ck you list.) 

No interest in helping when the industry was against the ropes, but now he is keynoting the national conference because he is being paid to be there. I call bullshit. It is better that I am home this year because my poker face stinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment