About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Sore

 I'm in the beginning stages of obtaining a new socket/ prosthesis, but in the meantime I have to modify and make due with a device that is entirely too big for my limb. I've mastered padding to the point where I am able to walk with quasi-comfort during most of the day. Although I'm not completely pain-free, I am functional. Given the size difference between my limb and my socket, I am grateful I am able to walk at all. 

I may have mastered padding, but that doesn't mean that my limb isn't feeling the stress. I have developed a small sore on the outside of my tibia. It's tiny right now but I know that it could grow very quickly so I am going to fall into 'limb triage' mode today. Walking is going to be minimized, as is the time I am within my socket, in order to allow for the area to heal. I've also covered it with a blister band-aid to provide some more protection and to help mask the pain. It was already difficult to walk with the padding. Adding a small sore has just increased the discomfort and frustrations that I am already feeling.

Although keeping my leg off is ideal, it is not terribly practical. It turns out that I'm not very good at taking my own advice, but in this situation I really have no choice. Everybody else will have to step it up until my leg completely heals, because I am not in a situation where I can risk my mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment