About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Richard Simmons

It is strange how a celebrity death can feel like a personal loss. Over the weekend Richard Simmons passed away and I must admit that I am genuinely sad. Although I've never met the aerobics guru, his tapes became an important part of my daily routine during a very difficult time of my life. 

Graduate school was a difficult time for me. I had moved to another region of the country without knowing a single person. Unlike undergrad school, where I quickly formed friendships, I discovered that dorm life changed significantly between the two universities. I was incredibly lonely.

I was so lonely that I began to play Richard Simmons tapes in my room just because he was so upbeat and motivating. When I felt like I was spiraling into loneliness, I grasped onto him promising that he believed in me, and that I could do it. Between the zippy music, the fun moves and his motivating commentary, Richard Simmons' tapes became the background to my graduate school experience. In my mind, the two are forever entwined. 

Richard has been out of the spotlight for many years although he had made a quick return to social media. His posts of motivation and wild self-acceptance always brought a smile to my face. When I heard that he had passed I was truly shocked. The world has lost a great cheerleader at a time when they are desperately needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment