About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year, Same Me

Of all of the holidays, I would have to say that I dislike New Year's Day the most. My feelings towards the holiday were formed in childhood. New Year's Day was traditionally the last day of our school vacation and it was difficult to celebrate returning to the classroom, especially after the excitement of Christmas!

Before I met Scott, I used to fantasize about my New Year's Eve celebrations. I envisioned elaborate black tie affairs where beautiful people were waltzing until midnight. I don't know how to waltz. I used to be able to do the "Achy Breaky Heart" dance, but I don't remember the steps and I'm pretty sure I'd fall and get hurt. Not only have I never been to such a party, I am struggling to recall ringing in the New Year wearing anything but my pajamas.

I used to become depressed on New Year's Eve, embarrassed by my lame social life. I have come to realize that I am in the majority and that the extravagant parties are productions of Hollywood and the media. At least, that is what I tell myself when I see them play out on the television while I am licking powdered cheese from my fingers and sipping a root beer.

New Year's Eve, while revelers are shown whooping it up in Time Square and at parties around the world, I can be found in bed. It is difficult for me to stay up until midnight. I learned a long time ago that nothing really happens when the ball reaches the bottom of the tower. If you ask me, it is a tad anticlimactic.

Now that I am an adult, I have continued to dislike New Years. I hate that we are bombarded by the media to create resolutions to make drastic life changes. It is hard enough for me to remember to change the date on checks that I write. This year we mark a decade change, necessitating that I change not one but two digits. I think it is unfair to also expect that I change major aspects of my life as well!

Resolutions made and broken remain the topic of conversation until the middle of January. Seemingly everybody inquires about what resolutions I have made for the upcoming year. I am a relatively benign, boring person. I don't have that many vices that need to be changed!

Commercials after Christmas immediately change from "Merry Christmas-have a Pillsbury cookie" to "You're fat from too many cookies-- join Jenny Craig." New Year, New You. Television becomes depressing because I feel inundated with self-help messages, touting everything that is "wrong" with me. Cookie commercials are more fun!

If I could, I would go to sleep on December 30th and wake up on January 2nd. I would avoid every "You're not good enough the way that you are" message. For me, "New Year, New You" should be "New Year, Be Happy with Yourself." I guess that isn't as catchy!

Please don't ask me if I've made any resolutions, or what I hope to accomplish in the upcoming year. I have trouble planning for next week, asking me to devise a plan for the next 12 months is both daunting and unrealistic. If you have any resolutions you've made that you would like to share, feel free. I would be happy to support you in your self-improvement quests. Just know that the offer stands throughout the year, not just because we are switching calendars.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Peggy. My most hated holiday is Christmas. My family is not huge, we do not gather around the fireplace every Christmas to exchange wonderful, loving gifts. I feel that there is so much pressure placed on people- moms in particular- to make the holiday perfect, Martha-style. I hate that. Putting the tree and decorations up simply means that I'll have to waste the time to take them all down again. We are all given the things we need during the year these days, so gift giving feels extravagant at best, gluttonous and wasteful at worst. I struggle with finding the right gift, often for people who don't need or want anything, and scream internally every time someone asks me for an "idea" for someone in my family. If I knew what to buy them, I'd buy it myself, so don't ask. Life grinds to halt during the holidays, whether we want it to or not.

    New Years for me represents more the end of the agony of the holidays and a fresh beginning. I've never felt pressured to celebrate in a certain way and wouldn't want to anyway. Since I've gotten married, my New Years' celebrations have consisted of lifting a glass of champagne (or sparkling juice depending on whether or not I was pregnant) to my husband and breathing a sigh of relief.

    You are most definitely in the majority.

    ReplyDelete