About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Things To Do...

Scott is beginning his second week of Christmas vacation. He was scheduled only to have off during this week. The snow we had a week ago caused his school to close, affording him an extra week off. We have resolved to make the most of his time off by tackling our "to do" list.

This morning I woke up excited to start our projects. We have painting to finish, Christmas decorations to be removed and packed away, carpets to be cleaned and the list continues. Since I don't have a priority for the projects, I gave the list to Scott and asked him to choose what he would like to do.

After perusing the list for several minutes he asked for the computer. Confident that he had decided upon a project and was researching instructions, I decided to not ask any questions. I got Robby dressed and made breakfast.

With the breakfast dishes done and the kitchen semi-cleaned up, Scott finally emerged from in front of the laptop. He was dressed (unusual during school breaks) and was putting on his coat. Car keys in hand, he asked Robby if he wanted to come. Robby and I put our coats on and followed to the car.

We have an overflowing list of things to do, and we were united in our resolve to tackle the list. Or so I thought. We didn't go to Sherwin Williams for paint. Nor did we go to Lowes for cleaning supplies. We didn't go to Target for plastic storage containers.

Where did we go?

We went to an ice rink, about 30 minutes away, to watch the Washington Capital's hockey team practice. Scott was giddy with excitement as he was holding Robby against the Plexiglas, watching the team skate and shoot the puck. He referred to the players by name which impressed me because they were not wearing their numbered shirts. Robby referred to the players as a "hockey man." I was getting scolded because I was taking pictures of the wrong players or because I was missing photo opportunities.

This is a picture of Alexander Ovechkin. He is Scott's favorite player. My husband became giddy when he skated by us. Ovechkin looked towards the "squealing" noises coming from our direction. Scott tried to blame Robby. I know better, and I'm pretty sure Ovechkin did too!

I have rarely seen Scott awe struck. This was the case this morning. We were not able to get any autographs. Apparently we were not the only family to have this idea today.

Not to worry though. Scott made sure that the address was saved in the GPS. It has already been "requested" that Robby and I return, during the week when the schools are back in session, to hopefully secure some autographs.

Scott thinks it would be "really cool" if the players signed my leg. I am not keen on the idea of taking my leg off and handing it off to somebody on the ice. Nor do I particularly want to walk around with autographs all over my leg until I need a new socket. It is not the type of fashion statement I would like to make. I think I'll splurge and buy a shirt or photograph.

We have returned from the ice rink. The "to do" list is on the kitchen counter. Scott is back in bed, ready for a nap. His back now hurts from holding Robby at the rink. In order to thwart any frustrations during this vacation, I am officially giving up. I am going to put the list back into the kitchen drawer where it will remain until Spring Break.

2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for a few weeks, and have to say that I have been very entertained. I am a below knee amputee and have a plain old prosthetic leg. Nothing fancy or high tech. I met a couple of members of my favorite band one time, and couldn't resist pulling off my leg and setting it on a counter for them to sign. They got a laugh out of it, and the sharpie wore off after a while so no permanent ink on the leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, scott told about the hockey trip, it seems to be one of his favorite sports, im pretty sure if i would see 1 of the best players of a certain sport; id hide but cheer inside :D

    ReplyDelete