About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Happiness

 Our Summer of Awesome 2017 is in full swing.  So far we've been to the pool several times, splashed in the fountains, visited a local food festival and went to a Glow party. It's no wonder Timmy crashed last night at 6:30 in his Daddy's arms, the little guy was nonstop motion all weekend!

Saturday morning Scott researched local events and decided that we should spend the afternoon at a local food festival. I was shocked because I am typically the one who locates and plans the family adventures. I was delighted that he went to the effort to plan our afternoon and was excited to spend time strolling through the food vendors.  Robby enjoyed spinning all of the vendors wheels, gathering bagfuls of swag and spending all of his food tickets on fried chicken.  Timmy amused himself by pointing out and barking at every dog he saw, which equated to him barking pretty much nonstop for two hours. I'm sure we were quite the sight!

Although I was tired on Saturday, I knew that agreeing to chaperone Robby and his friend at the Glow Party would instantly elevate me to hero status. I wasn't wrong; he was elated to call and invite his friend to the Glow party on Saturday night.  It definitely wasn't my favorite way to spend a Saturday night, but seeing Robby so happy with his friends made my night.  In case you don't have tweens in your house, our local trampoline park turns off the lights, turns on black lights and brings in a DJ every Friday and Saturday night for a special "Glow Party" jump. The event is extremely popular with the late elementary and middle school students. Sitting in the parent gallery, peering out over the trampolines, I realized an interesting tidbit. Under the iridescent glow of black lights, I'm pretty sure you could see the prepubescent hormones in the air.  (Incidentally, the facility also started to assume a unique odor as the night progressed and the participants became sweatier.)

Sunday was Father's Day, so we tried to make the day all about Scott.  He is a wonderful Daddy and we wanted to make him feel both special and appreciated.  Robby began the morning by making and presenting eggs with toast. To his credit, he did a fantastic job. (He must have a great teacher in the kitchen.)  We spent the majority of our day at the pool, splashing and playing in the warm water. By the time we came home, we were famished and tired.  Timmy was so tired he fell asleep eating his dinner.

Today the weather will again be hot which will inevitably lead us to the pool. I'm going to try to get most of my work done in the morning so that I don't have to stress while splashing. Although we're only a few days in, this summer is already living up to its title. 

No comments:

Post a Comment