About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Acts of Kindness

Still feeling under the weather, yesterday I took Timmy to a new indoor play facility. My guilt for not playing with him directly was overshadowed by his excitement and his joy when playing with new friends. He took off running as soon as we entered the facility while I took a position on a comfortable chair in center. I was able to watch him climb, slide and run without moving which, given my current health situation, was a huge benefit.

The only time Timmy came to me was when he wanted tokens for the claw machine or drinks of water. I was impressed as I watched him concentrate and maneuver the claw over top of a ball.  One by one he plucked the balls from the machine, happily distributing his prizes to his new friends. My generous little boy didn't stop playing until every child in the play land had a ball. 

Gifting his prizes was not the only sign of kindness demonstrated by my little Hamlet.  While he was playing with his new friends, one of the boys actively started to exclude another little boy. He was shouting and directing the little follower to "go away and stop following them." The little boy seemed confused and stopped running.  Without hesitating, Timmy walked back and took the little boy's hand as they continued to play. The little boy was again included into the group because Timmy took the initiative to make sure that it happened. I was so proud of him!

I planned to stay and play for about two hours. Timmy had other plans, keeping us there for over four hours. Despite obviously losing steam, he swore he wasn't tired, but his little energy reserves finally wore out. Another little friend came down the slide and told me that the "little boy with green pants" was asleep by the slide.  Apparently my little guy had dozed off while waiting for turn to go down the slide. I climbed up the structure (not an easy feat because the slides and rope bridges are not designed for a plump woman with one foot) and found him sitting against the netting, sound asleep. 

Even though I was feeling sick, Timmy had a fantastic day. I am glad that I was able to just observe him play with other children. I felt reassured witnessing his unprompted acts of kindness towards his young playmates. He may drive me batty at times but I felt like we must be doing something right as parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment