About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, August 31, 2018

September Woes

Despite the miserable weather, we had a fantastic summer.  As August draws to a close and I prepare to turn the calendar to September, I find myself feeling nostalgic and sad. The return to the school year routine always finds me feeling a mixture of opposing emotions. I'm thankful for a comfortable routine, but depressed that the excitement and energy of having everybody at home during the summer is over. 

This emotional quagmire is nothing new. I have been struggling with the transition from August to September for as long as I can remember. Even as a young child I dreaded and resented Labor Day. I found it nearly impossible to understand why anybody could be jubilant and happy during what felt like a sad and somber holiday.

The transition to September is always depressing, but this year I'm also feeling a lot of anxiety. I'm worried about Robby's school and already fretting about how to help him be successful. I'm also feeling overwhelmed by my exceptionally busy travel schedule during the next few weeks. I am going to be away from home for work at least twelve days during the next month. Considering that I typically only travel two or three times a year for work, this schedule is heavy by my standards.

My first trip begins with my traveling to San Francisco next week. I'm approaching the trip with mixed emotions. While the timing is less than ideal because of the return to school chaos, I'm excited about my current professional projects. Since I can't do anything to about the timing of the trip I'm working to put my anxiety to the side and trying to enjoy the moment. Perhaps focusing moment by moment is my key to surviving all of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment