About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 17, 2019

Father's Day

Father's Day has been different since my Dad died. I try to make the day all about Scott because he certainly deserves the day of doting, but yesterday I struggled. Some years are harder than others, and for some reason, this one was rough. 

I began to feel his absence profoundly on Saturday. I wanted to keep my focus on Scott on Sunday, so Saturday night I binged on photos and old memories of my Dad. I was hoping that an evening of reminiscing would purge the tears and allow me to reset for Sunday. It helped, but it certainly did not erase the void I felt on Father's Day.

I did my best to make Father's Day special for Scott. The boys woke early and prepared a breakfast feast to serve him in bed. After eating (and a quick nap), we spent the afternoon riding bikes with Timmy and running errands. I prepared a steak dinner and we topped off the evening with a trip to Baskin Robbins.  

Both boys spent the day doting on their Dad. Timmy serenaded him with "Happy Father's Day" in son version at every opportunity. He wrapped his little arms around his Daddy probably a hundred times throughout the day, wishing him a Happy Father's Day.  My Hamlet certainly loves a celebration!

I felt waves of grief but I was able to keep my emotions from interfering with Scott's celebration. I know that he had a nice day and that is what matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment