About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 02, 2021

Plumber x 2

Yesterday morning the plumbers arrived right on schedule to repair our broken well intake pipe. They began digging around 7 and finished by 10. It isn't often that work of this magnitude goes off with out a hitch. I felt like luck was on our side when I turned on the faucet to see flowing water.

Having running water felt wonderful! I immediately loaded the dishwasher, washed my hair and cleaned up the kitchen. Scott and the boys began to stir before noon (they are definitely on their own summer schedules), just in time to run to the farm to pick up our CSA box. The success with the plumbing repair, coupled with an overflowing CSA haul for the week, left me feeling oddly optimistic.

My feeling lucky vibe evaporated as soon as I stepped into my kitchen with my box of veggies. My floor was soaking wet. Puddles were formed under the kitchen sink and a small wave of debris came rushing out of the cabinet when I opened the door. While we were away the pipe under my kitchen faucet ruptured.

I immediately turned off the water, mopped the mess and tried to access the damage. At first I thought that we could simply replace the broken waterline, but further investigation revealed that the issue was more complex than the YouTube tutorial. Unlike the faucets in the videos, our water lines were part of the faucet. It turns out that the faucet I carefully chose 15 years ago was designed to be replaced, not repaired.

We called another plumber and then ordered a new faucet from Lowes. We figured that we could return the faucet if the water line could be replaced, but that it was safer to have it ready in the event that our suspicions were correct. Unfortunately, the plumber confirmed that we needed to replace the entire faucet.

Several hundred dollars later, we had running water in our kitchen (again). I am really, REALLY tired of water issues!


No comments:

Post a Comment