About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Broken

On Sunday I wrapped my socket with a new layer of Gorilla tape. The crack has grown significantly, splintering into two paths down my socket. The tape is ugly but definitely necessary. If I hadn't heavily reinforced my socket with the tape, I have no doubt that the shell would have completely shattered. Having a socket break in mid step never has a favorable outcome.

I am going to the prosthetist today, so hopefully I will leave with a new (and stronger) replacement check socket. I'm amazed by the amount of shrinking that is occurring within my limb. I am not sure why I am losing so much volume because I've been wearing a prosthetic for nearly 20 years. 

In many ways I feel like a new amputee, struggling with socks and socket fit. I had forgotten how frustrating this stage in the prosthetic fitting process can feel. I will be relieved when my limb is again stable and I am walking (comfortably) in a brand new leg.

Until then, I will keep the socks in my pocket and keep putting miles on my car as I drive back and forth to the prosthetist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment