About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Swimming Fun and Walking Misery

 With one glaring exception, yesterday was a wonderful first full day in Florida. We woke up early and hit the pools before lunch. In the afternoon we return to the water for a few hours after lunch but before dinner. After dinner the kids (and Scott) went to play in the ocean for a few hours while I saw on the sand and watched. Everybody was all smiles and giggles throughout the day, which is always a good sign on vacation.

The only hiccup in an otherwise fantastic day arose on the walk to dinner. Our favorite Italian restaurant in Fort Lauderdale is about a 1/2 mile walk from our hotel, which is normally not an issue. Unfortunately, I felt like my prosthesis was conspiring against me from the moment I stepped outside our hotel. 

My leg went from being uncomfortable to unattached in about 100 steps. I stopped to fix my leg which patched the problem for another few steps only to have the prosthetic suspension to release again. I was constantly stopping to reattach and realign my ill-fitting leg. Between the heat and a socket that is too big, I was battling a lost cause.  

It was an absolutely miserable walk both to and from the restaurant. I was so frustrated that I would have cried if I hadn't been so angry about the situation. No matter what I did I couldn't figure out a way to don my leg securely and comfortably. Nothing from my normal bag of tricks was working! 

A quick 1/2 mile walk stretched into nearly 40 minutes because of the constant stopping to fuss with my prosthesis. By the time we arrived at the restaurant I was frustrated and everybody else was overheated and tired. My leg was able to rest during dinner, so the trip back to the hotel was easier. I still had to stop to realign my leg, but I was able to take more than 100 steps at a time. I have no idea why my leg wasn't holding its suspension on the walk to the restaurant.












Today my leg is feeling good, the sun is shining and the temperatures are rising. It is going to be perfect day for the pool and the beach.  Hopefully my leg will cooperate!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment