About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 10, 2019

Full Moon at the AirShow

We had a wonderful weekend traveling back in time. The weather was gorgeous, providing us with blue skies and warm (but not oppressively hot) temperatures. We tackled the World War II weekend even on all three days. Even though the vendors and reenactors remained the same, each day provided us with a unique and different experience.

Friday Robby had the enthusiasm typically reserved for Christmas morning as we drove towards the event. Although I was sad to leave Timmy behind, I knew that he was going to have a blast playing with his cousins and swimming with his Nana. The event is so special to Robby that Scott and I decided that he deserved to have some dedicated time to enjoy the experience without the stress of a little brother. 

After walking through the sprawling event for the afternoon, we headed to our hotel to relax before going to Robby's favorite Italian restaurant.  After decompressing and tiring out in the hotel pool, we headed to bed. I wanted to go to bed early because I knew that Saturday was going to be busy.

We woke up early, went to breakfast and got dressed for the show. Robby convinced me to accompany him in costume this year. I felt a little silly at first, but I quickly got into the spirit of the weekend. Robby looked quite dapper in his flight suit, but unfortunately, the temperatures quickly rose so he swapped out the fatigues for shorts and a t-shirt.

Wearing a dress is not conducive to spending a day at an airshow. Between sitting on the grass and climbing in out of our planes and tanks, I was constantly fumbling with my outfit. Any unintentional peep shows that I may have provided when climbing down from a tank were quickly morphed by my major wardrobe malfunction during lunchtime.

While Robby and Scott were watching (another) military skirmish, I donned the backpack and headed to pick up some lunch from our favorite vendor. The walk was long to the food trucks, but I was happy to be away from the sounds of the gunfire and the smell of the smoke. After standing in line for nearly 30 minutes, I finally ordered and received the food. I grabbed our bucket of chicken and fries and headed back across the airport grounds to find Robby and Scott. 

Because I was wearing a costume, coupled with the fact that my prosthesis was visible, I didn't give the stares a second thought. I was on a mission to deliver the food, so I walked at a fairly good clip the length of two football fields to the "homefront" where the boys were waiting for me. I was about three feet away from delivering the food a lady tapped me on the shoulder to tell me that my dress was tucked up under my backpack.

I was mortified! As soon as I reached behind me, I realized that I had mooned the entire airshow in my quest for food. It wasn't even a quarter or a half moon. The back of my dress was completely wedged under my backpack, and my Rosie the Riveter bum was on full display for all to see. By the time I realized the wardrobe malfunction there was nothing that I could do, so I acquiesced backpack duty and continued with our day.

After the event on Saturday we headed to meet my Mom to pick up Timmy. He was so excited to see us and was chomping at the bit to go see planes and tanks. We woke up early on Sunday and headed to the third and final day of the show. 

Timmy's enthusiasm was short lived. After 30 minutes he began to get fussy and asked to leave. I did my best to entertain him while Scott and Robby finished with some last minute sightseeing and shopping. By early afternoon we were in the car headed home, and our annual World War II weekend had come to close. We had a great time, even if it did include an unintentional full moon!



































No comments:

Post a Comment