About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 13, 2020

Different Kind of Holiday

Like everybody else, our Easter was different this year. I didn't get to go visit my Mom, and the boys missed their annual Easter Bunny visit and egg hunts. Despite our efforts to keep the holiday light and fun, at times I felt overwhelmed by isolation. Knowing that there was camaraderie in our collective experiences definitely helped push me through my narrow little world.

Even though our Easter was different and the boys definitely missed their Nana, we ended up having a nice holiday. We opted to create a completely different Easter experience this year because we knew that we couldn't emulate tradition. Thankfully the weather cooperated, allowing us some beautiful temperatures and sunny skies throughout the weekend.

On Saturday night Robby helped me stage a glow-in-the-dark egg hunt for Timmy. Our little egg hunt was delighted! He grabbed his basket, put on his shoes and took off running through the yard to collect each colorful glowing egg. Seeing his enthusiasm for this novel twist on a familiar activity was the perfect beginning for our holiday celebrations.

The Easter Bunny came on Saturday night, surprising both boys with some new summer toys. (Our Bunny has always provided summer toys in lieu of candy for Easter.) Timmy received a new whistle (I don't know what the Bunny was thinking) and a cool new skateboard swing. He spent the majority of his day swinging and blowing his whistle.

Robby received a new glow-in-the-dark battle game, which he can't wait to use this summer with his cousins. He also received a new sling shot game which was a lot of fun. He spent most of his day riding his bike and playing with his new sling shot game.

We spent the majority of the day outside, playing and riding bikes through the neighborhood. Easter Dinner filled me with sadness because I was missing my extended family. As long as I was busy I was okay, which is why I was happy to spend the day playing outside.  Sometimes avoidance is a beautiful thing!










No comments:

Post a Comment