About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 21, 2022

Friend Benefits

 One of the unanticipated benefits of having Friend has been the extra walking. Before we brought him into our home, I was worried about the time investment required to care for a dog. I knew that the pup would need to be walked regularly, and I doubted that I could easily fit those breaks into my already busy schedule. It turns out my worries were for naught. 

While I am taking more frequent breaks to walk Friend, I have learned to use that time to relax and to recenter. Instead of being a burden, it turns out that I enjoy the solitude of our walks. As Friend and I stroll through the neighborhood, I'm able to listen to audio books while clearing my mind of other stresses. I have listened to more than 30 books since we adopted him! 

All of those walks have caused my weight loss to accelerate. I've dropped two sizes since bringing Friend home, all without the normal worry and obsession that typically accompanies my "diets." Talk about motivating! It turns out I didn't need a diet, I just needed a dog.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. While I'm happy that I've lost weight, my leg no longer fits. I'm not stopping every few minutes to adjust my prosthesis because the suction is no longer holding. Sigh. It looks like I have to start the fitting process all over again. 

I know that it is a good thing, but it is also frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment