About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 23, 2021

Happy Birthday Hamlet- and Rock On Robby

This weekend will be full of excitement, chaos and emotions. Robby has his rock band performance on Saturday, the culmination of months of practicing and hard work. He is both nervous and excited and, although I know he will lean more towards scared on Saturday morning, I have no doubt that his adrenaline will kick in and the hours of practicing will take over. He is, quite simply, going to rock it!

Saturday is not only the big band performance, but it is also my sweet little Hamlet's 7th birthday. How could my little baby, my greatest surprise, be 7 already? Wasn't he just a wee little baby? And now he is running around, digging up worms and learning to read. Time is moving way too fast for my comfort.

The birthdays of my boys always fill me with a quagmire of emotions. I love to celebrate them, but each candle blown represents the passage of time. Sigh. Being a mother is wonderful, but I was woefully unprepared for how much it would sting to watch them growing up. 

I miss my tiny little baby, but I adore the young boy that greets me with a mischievous smile each morning. He has such a wonderful mind, full of questions about the world. He possesses the confidence to try and he doesn't fear failure. 

Unfortunately, these same qualities have also led to some nail biting experiences. The time he climbed the ladder and decided to dance on our roof nearly put both of us in the grave. I have caught him with puppy blanket hung around his shoulders as he prepared to leap from the top stair of the deck, convinced he could fly if he believed. 

Timmy likes to flip on the trampoline and roller skates faster than I would prefer. He is fearless on his bike and he picks up snakes with the care that he handles butterflies. He is an enigma, keeping me young while simultaneously making me age with worry.

Happy Birthday Sweet Timmy Hamlet. Being your mom is, without a doubt, one of the greatest gifts I've ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment